Photography Lessons & Classes in Wilmington, Delaware
Below are links to many websites offering photo lessons in Wilmington, Delaware. But first, let me honk my own horn! I teach classes on Tuesday evenings at the Delaware Art Museum and I also offer private lessons.
LAST UPDATED: November 11, 2019.
Private Lessons by Danny Schweers
My rates are $45/hour, the same whether I teach one person or many. In general, tutoring is here in Arden, Delaware, in the northern-most part of the state, just off I-95. Arrangements can be made to meet elsewhere, but I usually charge for my travel time unless we meet at a local coffee shop or library. To learn more, call me at 302 475-0998 or click here for all my contact info.
Workshops at the Delaware Art Museum
On November 12 and 17, 2019, 6:00 to 8:30 p.m., and again on March 3 and 10, 2020, I will teach Tuesday-evening workshops on how to post-process images using Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop software. Students are welcome to bring their computers and tablets to class but, because these classes are demonstrations in front of many students, there will be little or no time for individual instruction. Techniques taught in these classes can often be used with software other than Adobe’s to adjust images after they come out of the camera. (All levels)
Adobe Lightroom Image Post-Processing, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019, 6:00-8:30, and again on March 3, 2020.
Adobe Lightroom software allows photographers to make global and local adjustments to their digital images. You will be shown how to use Lightroom's graduated and radial filters, the adjustment brush, the spot removal tool, color adjustments, split toning, and other tools to correct and improve your photographs.
Adobe Photoshop Image Post-Processing, Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019, 6:00-8:30, and again on March 10, 2020.
Adobe Photoshop software gives users powerful tools to work with images. In this introductory demonstration, students be shown how to use adjustment layers, selections, layer styles, masks, and more.
See the Delaware Art Museum website to learn more about these classes, or call 302 571-9590.
Portrait Photography Workshop
Portrait Photography Workshop
Saturday, January 11, 2020,
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (1 hour lunch break)
Instructor: Danny Schweers
$70 Members, $90 Non-Members
Students will produce images inspired by photographs in the Delaware Art Museum exhibit “Posing Beauty in African American Culture.” Lessons on studio lighting, background, props, and posing the model will be taught. Model fee included. Digital SLRs and upscale mirrorless cameras are preferred. Tripods are welcome.
See the Delaware Art Museum website to learn more about this workshop or call 302 571-9590.
Digital Photography Classes at the Delaware Art Museum
I have been teaching intro camera lessons at the Museum since 2010.
- Digital Photo Class at Delaware Art Museum
Tuesdays, January 7 thru February 25, 2020,
and again in the spring of 2020.
6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Single-lens reflex or mirrorless digital cameras are preferred, really any digital camera with a manual shooting mode. Simple point-and-shoot cameras and smart phones won't work in this class. You need a camera with adjustments for ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Students of all skill levels are welcome, age 15 and up.
- See the Delaware Art Museum website to learn more about this Studio Art Class, or call 302 571-9590
- Parking at the Delaware Art Museum.
- See a typical class outline for Danny's class at the Delaware Art Museum.
- Sample of Students' Images. Here are photos by my students, 30 images from each year, going back to 2010.
- What settings can I change on a digital camera? Many!
- Contact Danny Schweers.
Other Photography Classes near Wilmington, Delaware
- Cameras, Etc. offers one-on-one tutoring on how to use your camera.
- Delaware College of Art and Design (DCAD) continuing education classes in photography. As of June, 2019, their continuing ed photo courses included Basics & Beyond, Intro to Black & White Photography, and Intermediate Black & White Techniques. DCAD also offers a certificate program in photography, a part-time non-degree program of study.
- Delaware Technical and Community College (Del Tech) continuing education classes in photography. As of June, 2019, their continuing education classes included many different classes including introduction to digital imaging, nature in the field, intermediate photography, and travel photography.
- Delaware Photographic Society - This is an active volunteer organization with weekly meetings and occasional classes, guest speakers, and field trips. DPS is associated with PSA: the Photographic Society of America. As of November, 2018, Instruction Night is held the first Monday of the month at 7:30pm in the duPont Pavilion, Cokesbury Village, 726 Loveville Rd, Hockessin, DE 19707.
- Four Youth Productions A 501C3 non-profit organization that fosters the development of underprivileged youth through educational programs including photography and art in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Horizon Workshops, Chesapeake City, Maryland. These workshops are offered by Steve Gottlieb, who is one of many instructors. Lots of variety here, including many on-location workshops.
- New Castle County's Art Studio Classes are offered by the Department of Community Services and in the fall of 2018 classes included photography.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute of the University of Delaware These free classes are for those over 50 years old.
- Dan Salvo of Dazzle Photography offers free on-line videos and some in-person introductory and advanced workshops.
- University of Delaware. You don't have to become formally admitted to the University of Delaware in order to register for credit courses. You can register for University of Delaware undergraduate and graduate credit photography classes as a Continuing Education student simply by completing registration forms and paying the appropriate tuition.
- Wilmington University offers many classes in photography for its enrolled students. As of June, 2019, this included basic, intermediate, and advanced photography; photojournalism, sports photography, lighting, and editing.
- Wyzant Photography Tutors - This website is a place for local tutors to list their offerings. You can limit your search to tutors within so many miles of your ZIP code. When I searched in November, 2018, I found two tutors within 20 miles of 19810. Prices were $30 and $50 an hour.
- If you know of a photography course or workshop that should be listed here, please contact Danny Schweers.
Photo Classes in Philadelphia and New York
Danny Schweers (you are on his website) is a member of Philly Photo Arts, which offers photo classes and workshops in Philadelphia.
Kathy Buckalew, who teaches at the Delaware Art Museum, recommends workshops at the International Center for Photography in New York City.
Nearby Photography Galleries, Organizations
- Delaware Art Museum, 2301 Kentmere Parkway, Wilmington, DE
- Delaware Contemporary, 200 S. Madison, Wilmington, DE
- Delaware Photographic Society
- Colourworks, 1902 Superfine Lane, Wilmington, DE
- Wilmington Art Loop - "Art On The Town" offers many exhibitions on the first Friday of most months.
- Meet-Up Photo Groups in Elkton, MD, and Delaware County, PA.
- Philadelphia Photo Arts, 1400 N. American Street #103
- Print Center, 1614 Latimer Street, Philadelphia, PA
- Washington Printmakers Gallery, 1641 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Washington, DC
Photography Business Advice
A college senior about to graduate asked my advice about the business of photography. Here's what I said, and what six practicing photographers said.
Camera Equipment Links
- Harold Ross paints with light
- iPhone Art Girl = Meri Walker Daily photos posted with the post-processing apps listed
- Gary Winogrand's Teaching Methods A long article by O.C. Garza. Eventually, he talks about Winogrand's methods.
- Henri Cartier Bresson, French documentary photographer, 1930s-1960s. His ability to create Zen-like perfect moments from ordinary life is still widely admired, including a retrospective exhibit in 2011 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. One of my favorites in his ability to see beauty in the mundane.
- Harry Callahan, 1949
- Julia Margaret Cameron, 1864
- Professor Harold Edgerton, a scientific photographer, developed stop-action techniques for photographing high-speed objects while working at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His work was exhibited at the Delaware Art Museum in 2011.
- Yousuf Karsh, 1941, of Winston Churchill
- Robert Glenn Ketchum, contemporary landscape photographer. I was first impressed with his book,Order From Chaos, in which he takes confusions of branches and weeds and sees in them some order.
- Annie Leibovitz, contemporary portrait photographer. Has started releasing books of her personal work. Known for her editorial photography, known for traveling with two semi-truck trailers, one full of costumes, and working with a staff of a dozen helpers including makeup artists, costume designers, and lighting specialists.
- Gordon Parks, 1941, of Langston Hughes
- PinholeResource.com - Marc, a student, recommends this resource for pinhole photography.
- Edward Steichen, 1928, of Greta Garbo
- Edward Weston, art photographer, and his sons, Brett Weston and Cole Weston, both landscape photographers.
- Pictures by Women: A History of Modern Photography at MOMA
There are five photos available. Click the number icons below photo.
- Sheila, a student, recommends "Around The World with an iPhone."
- Untouched model to billboard perfection. Reginald Pike's Yael Staav takes us from model to billboard in under 60 seconds. The Photoshop changes at the end are shown so quickly, you'll need to pause the video to take in the facial reconstruction.
Here are links to two videos we watched in class, and two others.
HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN FIVE MINUTES
HISTORY OF PHOTOGRAPHY IN 21 MINUTES
CINDY SHERMAN: NOBODY’S HERE BUT ME
Documentary of the original selfie artist (1994, 55 minutes)
Back to Top